ThinkExist.com Quotes

Friday, August 13, 2004

How uncomfortable!

I just had a conversation with someone I know who is having severe pain in one of his testicles. As a good social worker, I feel like I'm supposed to know what to say. So the first thing that comes out of my mouth is, "Oh my God!" Right, I'm sure that was completely helpful, and alleviated all anxiety and stress that he was feeling. And, I was right, that was completely the most unhelpful thing to say. He's like, "Why is it that when I have told anyone today that I'm having a shooting pain in my testicle, everyone says 'Oh my God!'?" So, then I try my very best to be a good friend, good social worker, etc. But, it's not really one of those things where you can say, I hope you feel better. And, I think that perhaps this is a guy's worst fear (at least physically). Well, I tried to be sympathetic, and help him stay calm and not be too worried, and gave him ideas on how to be calm until his doctor's appointment this afternoon.

I think I failed miserably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home