ThinkExist.com Quotes

Thursday, July 07, 2005

No longer comfy and cozy

I think it's really sad what happened in London today. It's also a wake up call that I probably didn't need. It's scary to think how easy we slip back into feeling all warm and safe when a terrorrist attack could be looming in the near future. The Metro has all of these warnings up about looking for suspicious packages and reporting them to the authorities. But I don't know that I would necessarily notice a suspicious package unless it jumped up and bit me in the butt (and had a big sign pasted on it that said "Hey, I'm a suspicious package!). Now we have bomb-sniffing dogs and guys with assualt rifles hanging out at the Metro stations, and I just don't know if that makes me feel much safer. In reality though, I don't know what would make me feel safer. Alot of the terrorrists are not against suicide bombings. So, I can't really expect to find a suspicious package just lying around. It could be the briefcase that guy in the seat next to is holding on his lap. Or it could be the backpack that the guy is wearing who is standing next to the door. Nobody checked my bag for a bomb when I entered the Metro station this morning.

I guess on the flip side, I don't want to live my life in fear of what might happen. Maybe this means I'm not cautious enough, or that I am looking through at the world through rose-colored glasses. But, it just seems clear that if something is going to happen, there is little that we can do to stop it from happening. The bombings are sad. They are scary. But I don't want to stop living my life because DC might be next.

Just some rambling thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home