ThinkExist.com Quotes

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Books

It seems like when I haven't been working lately, I've been reading. I think I already posted that I read the sixth Harry Potter book. Since then, I think I have read a few other books. I've now read all of the Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta books except for the last one, Trace. The one before that, Blow Fly, I wasn't really all that impressed with. It was written differently, in the third person, as opposed to in the first person, which made the book not quite as good as the previous ones. Still, I want to read the most recent one. And then I believe that there is a new one coming out soon, so I'll have to read that one as well.

After that, I read The Kite Runner, which I thought was very good. It was an interesting view of life in Afghanistan, before the Soviet invasion, following it, and under the leadership of the Taliban. It was a fictional story, but I'm sure there was a lot of reality in the descriptions of the country. It was a great story and I believe it was the author's first novel.

Once I finished that, Robbie said I had to read Under and Alone. Surprisingly, this, too, was a fast and interesting read. The book is about an undercover ATF agent in an outlaw motorcycle gang. Quite fascinating - similar to Donnie Brasco but more quick-paced.

Now, I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books. I've finished the first two, and I'm on the third one. Those are interesting because I read them several years ago, and have now seen the movies multiple times. There is so much in the books that is not in the movies and I'm enjoying reading them again. Once I get to the fourth one, I'll probably remember even less about it, since the movie has yet to come out. At any rate, these books are an easy read and always fun.

So as you can see, I have read a lot of books in the past month. Which probably means I have no life and I need to get out more. Maybe. I'll work on going out more and getting more exercise. Now, if you'll excuse me...I need to go read my book :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time reading from your web page, and although we are already friends, I feel like I know you better and that we have more in common than I realized. I never knew you were such a writer. Anyway, I am responding to this particular day's blog because I too have read all of the Kay Scarpetta books and I have been a fan for some time! I agree, Blow Fly, was not very good. It was too wordy. I found myself skipping and skimming through parts. I too love Harry Potter books. Also, I have and read Trace, so don't buy it. I will let you borrow it unless of course I take forever getting it to you and you are at the bookstore and just have to have it, which I have done plenty of times. Kite Runner was really good. I agree with your assessment. hope your cases are settling down... have you heard about how the units are being restructured separating inhome cases vs. court cases? I don't agree, but obviously have no say in the matter.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home