ThinkExist.com Quotes

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

That will cost you...

I was in Court this morning with a new judge (new to me). The child's attorney, which is known as the Guardian ad litem (GAL), was more than 30 minutes late. This, in turn, made the caregiver's attorney late for another hearing. This also made my attorney, the Assistant Attorney General (cool title, eh?) late for another hearing. The GAL was concerned that our judge was going to fine her for being late. She has fined my agency for court reports being turned in late. The caregiver's attorney was concerned that the judge that he was late for was going to fine him for being late. What kind of craziness is that? "You got stuck in traffic so I'm going to fine you a hundred dollars." WTF?? Maybe that's better than being held in contempt of court? I don't know. These judges, that are actually Magistrate Judges, are all on power trips. There's one judge that most social workers and attorneys despise. My supervisor remembers when that judge was not a judge, but just a lowly attorney, more specifically an educational advocate. And, he was bad at that job! So, now that he is a Magistrate Judge, is he trying to make up for his poor attorney skills by being anal and micromanaging every case that comes before him? I just don't know. I think there is a prerequisite when you apply for the Judge job that you must forget your roots and be condescending to all social workers and most attorneys. Where do I sign up?

3 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

This is the experience that I have had, as have many others that I know, both in the Courts that I work at as well as other Courts. When I become a Judge, I'll let you know how I handle the job.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Maybe you don't understand what talking down to someone means. Using the term "open your beak" would be considered doing so. And so you can stop getting bent out of shape OVER A BLOG, I don't have a lack of respect for attorneys and judges as a whole. I work with attorneys daily and I have a great deal of respect for what they do and the amount of work that goes into their job. I don't respect people who think they are better than others simply because they hold a JD. I'd like to see you take your people skills and work with parents who are abusing their children, work with children who have to live in foster homes, and work with families who are being torn apart by violence and drugs. You may think you are better than me because you are working toward your JD, but I get alot of satisfaction out of helping families and children. I think you have proven that you have the skills to argue, but you need to work on your people skills.

Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Since your skills include belittling me and my profession and reminding me how awesome yours is, I refuse to argue with you anymore. Enjoy your profession, and try to remember that social workers are hard workers too.

Saturday, April 09, 2005 10:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home