ThinkExist.com Quotes

Monday, August 23, 2004

I don't know which is worse

Last week I complained about having nothing to do. Today, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the sh*t to hit the fan. You see, as a social worker, one of the icky parts of my job is to remove children when their home is unsafe and unhealthy. At CFSA, the mission is to promote the "safety, permanency, and well-being" of children. I have two kids who need to be removed from their mother's care. She is in an unhealthy relationship, she emotionally abuses her children, and she has relapsed and has been smoking crack again for more than two weeks. Unfortunately, it is my job to go in the apartment and remove the children, and in the process get screamed at and cussed out by the mother, and perhaps the boyfriend too. Now, I'm used to being screamed at and cussed out. But, when it is two people who are most likely high when they are doing it, it makes things a bit scarier. However, right now I'm just sitting here, waiting for the phone to ring. I'm waiting for placement to call me and tell me they have a foster home for the children. I don't want to remove these kids before I have a foster home for them to go to. Technically, I'm waiting for the mom to call me, as she was supposed to call me this morning. I don't want to call the mom for the following reasons: 1) Mom will yell and scream and cuss me out (not fun); 2) if they know that I am going to remove the kids, the kids will leave the house so that they are not there when I get there; 3) refer back to number 1. Yeah, maybe I'm a chicken, but that's okay. I like to come home in one piece at the end of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home