ThinkExist.com Quotes

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Really long day

It's been a long day. It began with my supervisor talking to us about the shooting that occurred at my office over the weekend. This was news to me. Apparently, the director of intake and investigations (I think) has been getting death threats recently, and on Sunday while she was working, someone shot at her from outside her office window. I guess she was not in the office, as nobody was hurt. But, the scary part is that it is believed that the death threats and violence are coming from someone within my agency! Someone that we all work with is who is thought to be responsible for this! That scares the shit out of me! Here I am, feeling pretty safe in my little office building downtown amidst all sorts of federal buildings. I don't feel safe when I do home visits (I carried my pepper spray while walking to and from an apartment tonight) but at least I felt safe in my little cubicle. But instead, now I wonder if someone in my office is going to fall victim to senseless acts of violence. I don't like that feeling. I don't want to have to wonder if I am going to be safe at work. I think about it enough on home visits, walking through my own parking lot in the evening, walking to the Metro at night. I want there to be one place in my little world that I feel completely safe. And, if that is not possible in the DC Metro area, then I need to move.

The next funnest part of my day was a home visit that I did. I really only needed to go do this visit to ensure the apartment was safe enough for a child to live in for two days over the holidays. Short visit, in and out in about 30 minutes. Nope. I was there for two hours. Even though I said several times that I really needed to go, and even though I completely explained how I had to take the agency car back to the office and then ride the Metro all the way out to the end of the line, and even though I put my coat on and walked over to the door...it still took me two hours to get out of there. This is after walking three blocks down a street in NE DC to get to and from my car. On the way back to my car around 7:30 this evening, there were two cops there...one pulling into a parking lot with his lights on, and another cop conveniently parked in the middle of the sidewalk. The first cop started running code right when he passed me, and then pulled into a parking lot right next to me. I was sure he was going to ask me what I was doing walking down the street at night (little white girl...in an all not-white neighborhood). But, apparently he was going to arrest someone else. So I kept walking, walked by the cop who was parked on the sidewalk (he just nodded his head at me and kept going), walked around his cruiser, and made it to my car unscathed. But, I was on the ready just in case someone wanted to get by those two cops and get to me. I had my pepper spray in one hand, and my keys in the other. Are we getting the idea that SAFETY IS AN ISSUE????

Finally, to top the evening off, Robbie found out that his schedule for Christmas Eve and Christmas changed. I won't really get to spend any time with him at all on Christmas. Originally, he would be starting work at 3, which sucks, but I get the morning with him. Now, he can either start at 10 and work until 8, or start at noon and work until 10. Both of them mean that I can't really spend time with him Christmas morning, and there is no way that he will be able to have dinner with my family either. Furthermore, he is working until 2 am on Christmas Eve (I guess that's really Christmas morning) so he is going to be really tired after his Christmas shift and I won't get to spend time with him that night either. I think it sucks. He's angry. And there isn't shit that can be done about it. So, since I can't fix it and neither can he, and me getting pissed at him isn't going to make the situation any better, I figure I'll rant on here for a minute.

Like I said, it's been a really long day. I'm too tired to rant anymore tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger EW said...

Sorry to hear that someone is upset enough to actually threaten someone else's life. Yikes!

Well, I thought you might find this link amusing: http://webpages.charter.net/redemption/banana/

It gets in your head after awhile. :)

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 11:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home